Skip to main content

Introduction

My name is Alexis McLean, I’m a student at Linn-Benton Community College majoring in history. My plan is to transfer from LBCC to a four-year university to finish a bachelors in history and a minor in business. Then I intend to go on to Law School. I enrolled in News Reporting and Writing both because I needed the credits and because I need to become more comfortable with having my voice heard. I’m very close-to-the-chest with my work because I tend towards perfectionism. I’m not a journalism major because I’m determined to become an attorney and because majoring in History allows me to pursue my goals and interests simultaneously. Outside of college I like to read books and spend time with my cats. Last year I got the opportunity to foster several kittens and that was super cool! I hope I get the opportunity to do that again.


I hope this term in News Reporting and Writing helps me to become much more confident speaking to strangers. I am an anxious person, and sometimes go far out of my way to avoid doing so. Given my long-term goals, this is simply something I’m gonna have to get over by any means necessary. In the same vein, I need to get comfortable allowing the public to see what I write. I want to make changes in the world with my voice, so I gotta get good at using it! Better to do it now than in a courtroom. My writing could also always be improved and I can think of no better practice than writing knowing the whole world is gonna see it (or, just whoever reads this blog or The Commuter). By the end I hope to be clearly better than when I started.

My first story is going to be on Finn Johnson’s presentation at Linn Benton Community College on the constitutionality of anti-trans legislation. I want to touch on the impact of anti-trans legislation and how the public can react to reduce the harm done. I’m going to reach out to try an interveiw Jason J. Dorsette who is the Executive Director of Linn-Benton community College’s Office of Institutional Equity, Diversity & Inclusion. I also plan on reaching out to interview Angel Dorantes, the Latino Outreach & Retention Manager of Linn-Benton Community College's Office of Institutional Equity, Diversity & Inclusion. Lastly, I am contacting the event organizer and program coordinator of Linn-Benton Community College’s Office of Institutional Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion, Gabriela Esquivel. I was unable to find the phone number or email of Finn Johnson, but hopefully I will be able to get ahold of that information through Gabriela Esquivel.


Five questions I want to ask my interviewees are:

1. What kinds of anti-trans bills are being presented and passed? 2. How are trans people being affected by those bills? 3 .What actions should students and community members take to combat these bills? 4 .Are anti-trans bills constitutional? 5 .What does it mean for a new law to be unconstitutional?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finn Johnson Presents on the Constitutionality of Anti-Trans Legislation (or Lack thereof)

  ( Photo courtesy of Finn Johnson) Are your rights under attack? Finn Johnson argued that they are when presenting Jan. 25 at LBCC on the topic of anti-constitutionalist, anti-trans legislation.  Johnson has a bachelor’s degree in sexuality, gender, and queer studies from Portland State University , a master's in women, gender, and sexuality studies from Oregon State University and is currently a doctoral student at OSU in women, gender, and sexuality studies, as well as ethnic studies.  Johnson spoke at LBCC’s Diversity, Equality, and Inclusivity Office on the Albany campus. Upon entering you see a table with event flyers and complementary masks and hand sanitizer. In the back of the room another table displayed a sign up sheet and free drinks. On the left of the room is the podium where presenters speak, and on the right a corner of armchairs surrounding a coffee table. Sprawled across the center of the space are various chairs and tables for the audience.  As students entere

LBCC's Clothing Connection Prepares for Upcoming Grand Opening

Photos courtesy of Sarah Rose Larson Need a smart outfit for an interview? The Roadrunner Clothing Connection has your back. Valentine’s Day celebrated the soft-launch of Roadrunner Clothing Connection, a resource for free clothes for Linn-Benton Community College’s students and employees. The grand opening will be on Wednesday, March 6 at noon in room 109 of the Forum Building of LBCC’s Albany Campus. The Roadrunner Clothing Connection’s normal operating hours will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Wednesday until the end of spring term. Upon entering a student is greeted at the back wall by a mannequin dressed in some of Roadrunner Clothing Connection's fashions. There are a half-dozen or so full clothing racks and walls of cubby-style shelves filled with folded garments and shoes. Overseen by the American Association for Women in Community Colleges , the Clothing Connection carries donated jackets, coats, dresses, pants, jeans, dresses, pajamas, shoes, bras, ties, and menstrual h

One-on-One Chat with Jason Dorsette

Most LBCC students are familiar with the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion office and the clubs that meet there, such as Gay Straight Alliance and Estudiantes Del Sol , but few get to know the office’s executive director, Jason Dorsette. He has worked at LBCC for two years, moving over from OSU after eight years of work there. With a long history of civic engagement, including holding the presidency at the local NAACP chapter, and the board treasurer of the Pacific Northwest chapter of the National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education, Dorsette is a paragon in his field. While the office of EDI is on the second floor of Forum Building in room 220 on LBCC’s Albany campus, Dorsette’s office is a short walk to the first floor of Willamette Hall in room 135, directly across from the bookstore. He generously spared a chunk out of his busy schedule to answer some questions: What is EDI? EDI stands for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion. What does the office of EDI do? The offi