Skip to main content

One-on-One Chat with Jason Dorsette


Most LBCC students are familiar with the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion office and the clubs that meet there, such as Gay Straight Alliance and Estudiantes Del Sol, but few get to know the office’s executive director, Jason Dorsette. He has worked at LBCC for two years, moving over from OSU after eight years of work there. With a long history of civic engagement, including holding the presidency at the local NAACP chapter, and the board treasurer of the Pacific Northwest chapter of the National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education, Dorsette is a paragon in his field. While the office of EDI is on the second floor of Forum Building in room 220 on LBCC’s Albany campus, Dorsette’s office is a short walk to the first floor of Willamette Hall in room 135, directly across from the bookstore. He generously spared a chunk out of his busy schedule to answer some questions:

What is EDI?

EDI stands for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.

What does the office of EDI do?

The office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, we are charged with helping to create the equity agenda for the college. That looks like working with students, faculty, staff, as well as external stakeholders, to better operationalize our goals around equity, diversity, and inclusion.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by “better operationalize our goals?


Within any organization, certainly a lot of public organizations, they really try to ensure that students and employees feel a sense of connectedness and belonging on the campus. As such, there are opportunities and initiatives, and programs that an organization like LBCC moves forward to help create that.

What are your duties as the executive director?

Every day looks different. Just the title alone, diversity, should hopefully illuminate that I could be doing all sorts of things. My typical day looks like a lot of meetings with faculty, students, and fellow administrators. I analyze policy to ensure that there’s an equitability lens applied to our policies and procedures. I meet with students, not just when things are bad but when things are going great. I facilitate trainings and workshops for faculty, staff, and students at all three campuses.

I also do a lot of external work, sometimes because our president is so busy and the vice president is so busy, we’re all busy, I am asked to kind of represent the college in various external facing organizations or meetings in associations. Since we are an Oregon public higher education institution, I meet a lot with my counterparts at other community colleges around what’s happening at their colleges, really trying to stay ahead of the curve.

My role allows for me to travel a lot, but it also requires me to be well informed about the ever-changing climate and language and the ways in which our students are being impacted. I also serve on every institutional level committee, so everything from budgets to institutional learning outcomes, student success, accreditation. In short I sort of champion the equity work and make sure we are being equitable in literally everything that we do on and off campus.

What are your highest priority concerns on campus?


My highest priority concerns are for our students. I love our students, they are remarkable and I want to make sure they’re having a rich experience. I want to make sure that they are contributing to the learning environment which we have established here at the best community college in the nation. I also want to make sure that every student regardless of their identity feel as if they belong at Linn-Benton Community College.

My second priority is supporting and coaching our faculty, specifically around ways that our faculty can strengthen their curriculum and strengthen the ways in which they deliver content. Some of our content that faculty members present is a bit outdated. I am an adjunct faculty member at Oregon State University. Some of our textbooks we use, the language is outdated, so while I appreciate the historic components of academia we have to lean in and welcome the fact that things are changing, academia is changing. I like to work with faculty on how to remain relevant and how to remain cutting edge

My third priority is to work with employees around how they’re experiencing the campus. I want us to make sure that each and every staff member or employee feels just as valued. Hierarchy does exist, however the administrative support person should feel just as important and valued as the vice president of the college.

What made you decide to pursue a career in EDI?

So, I’m originally from North Carolina, a small town called High Point, which is the furniture capital of the world, and all of my life I have found myself engaged or participating in positive social change work. I come from a long family legacy of civil rights leaders, a long family legacy of individuals who believe in the greater good of society.

I have also been blessed and fortunate enough to be mentored by a lot of individuals who have hope, in society, in humankind, and for a better world. Throughout my entire life I have believed in that, I still believe in that, so landing a job in equity, diversity, and inclusion was sort of designed. I don’t know what else I would be doing if I wasn't doing this work, it’s literally a part of my identity.

What are the best parts of working in EDI?

Some of the best aspects about working in institutional equity, diversity, and inclusion are opportunities to connect with people, to sit down and to learn their stories. I believe that everyone has a story and everyone has life experiences and our individual life experiences impact how we see the world. So as we’re able to sit down in community together or meet virtually and we're able to establish relationships and build rapport, that allows me to really say “Hey the work that I’m moving forward is making a difference.”

I also learn. I am a lifelong learner, I learn from everyone. I am not the type of individual who will ever isolate anyone or get in really contentious arguments. I think everyone has a right to their own perspective. I am very inquisitive, meaning I ask a lot of questions. Not to have a “gotcha” moment but to learn other’s perspectives.

Another good thing specifically about this office is we have made tremendous strides in the fact that people are reaching out to us more now than ever than probably in the past. People, they see me, they speak, they send me positive notes, reaffirming notes, to encourage me and our office and the work that we’re doing. So, that makes me feel good, I am human, I like a good pat on the back every now and again.

What are the most difficult parts of working in EDI?


Some of the challenges are also working in a diverse environment because people see the world from their own lived experiences and some of those lived experiences are limited. We have some people who have never lived outside of Sweet Home or Lebanon. We have some people who have never traveled abroad. So when you don't possess a worldview it sort of fogs your perceptions of reality. So what we’ve found ourselves doing is engaging in conversations with individuals around the reality versus one’s perception of reality.

Another area that I don’t really like as it relates to equity, diversity, and inclusion is every so often, certainly during the election cycle, people will bring in politics instead of honoring the humanity of an individual. And when people come in with these political agendas or ploys it causes confusion and emotions to become escalated, which then causes me to have a lot of conversations around managing your emotions and the importance of emotional intelligence and balance and all those sorts of things. But, it comes with the job, so it’s not necessarily an awful thing but it’s draining.

Is there anything one should know about the EDI office that people often don't know?

One, that our office is open to everyone. It’s really a great space to do homework, just relax between classes. We oftentimes have a lot of events, and a lot of our events because they’re steeped in culture involve food. We will soon sort of reimagine our space, it’s not confirmed yet but we’re hopeful. We have some beautiful art in our space that’s always selected by students.

It’s a really creative space that can morph into whatever you need it to be. We hold Poetry Club meetings in that space on Fridays. It’s open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. If students want or need the space to be open on the weekends I’m here a lot on the weekends. I’m a PhD candidate so I’m always here. We welcome everyone and all ideas. We just want people to know that the equity center isn’t a doom and gloom place, not to say that that’s the reputation, but I want to make sure that students know that they belong.

What are good resources for information related to EDI?

Google is your friend. I also have several reads I would invite folks to read. One is entitled “Ways with Words: Language, Life, and Work in Communities and Classrooms,” also anything by Bell Hooks, who was a beautiful author, scholar, that writes about love and the ways in which sometimes out of radical self love that they sometimes look like having difficult conversations with individuals around ED, and I. She lays out several awesome approaches and tactics for people to engage in that conversation.

Lastly I’d say come to any of our programs. We believe in celebrating heritage months and there’s always some culture’s celebratory moment during a month. Last but not least if there is something relating to equity programs or an event or an idea related to ED and I that students want: bring it to us. We’ll workshop it, we’ll talk about it, we’ll make it happen.

At a Glance: Jason Dorsette
Occupation: Executive Director of LBCC’s Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusivity.
Hometown: High Point, North Carolina
Education: Bachelor’s in History/Education from North Carolina Central University; master’s in Public Policy and Administration from North Carolina Central University; PhD candidate at Oregon State University
Years at LBCC: 2
Before coming to LBCC: Worked as a middle school social studies teacher for eight months before working at North Carolina Central University for five years, then Oregon State University for eight years.
More information: Jason Dorsette’s LinkedIn
Instagram: @LBCCIEDI
Facebook: LBCC Institutional Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
GroupMe: EquityCenterTeamLBCC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LBCC's Clothing Connection Prepares for Upcoming Grand Opening

Photos courtesy of Sarah Rose Larson Need a smart outfit for an interview? The Roadrunner Clothing Connection has your back. Valentine’s Day celebrated the soft-launch of Roadrunner Clothing Connection, a resource for free clothes for Linn-Benton Community College’s students and employees. The grand opening will be on Wednesday, March 6 at noon in room 109 of the Forum Building of LBCC’s Albany Campus. The Roadrunner Clothing Connection’s normal operating hours will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Wednesday until the end of spring term. Upon entering a student is greeted at the back wall by a mannequin dressed in some of Roadrunner Clothing Connection's fashions. There are a half-dozen or so full clothing racks and walls of cubby-style shelves filled with folded garments and shoes. Overseen by the American Association for Women in Community Colleges , the Clothing Connection carries donated jackets, coats, dresses, pants, jeans, dresses, pajamas, shoes, bras, ties, and menstrual h

Finn Johnson Presents on the Constitutionality of Anti-Trans Legislation (or Lack thereof)

  ( Photo courtesy of Finn Johnson) Are your rights under attack? Finn Johnson argued that they are when presenting Jan. 25 at LBCC on the topic of anti-constitutionalist, anti-trans legislation.  Johnson has a bachelor’s degree in sexuality, gender, and queer studies from Portland State University , a master's in women, gender, and sexuality studies from Oregon State University and is currently a doctoral student at OSU in women, gender, and sexuality studies, as well as ethnic studies.  Johnson spoke at LBCC’s Diversity, Equality, and Inclusivity Office on the Albany campus. Upon entering you see a table with event flyers and complementary masks and hand sanitizer. In the back of the room another table displayed a sign up sheet and free drinks. On the left of the room is the podium where presenters speak, and on the right a corner of armchairs surrounding a coffee table. Sprawled across the center of the space are various chairs and tables for the audience.  As students entere